The Structure of Workflow Specs¶
We now know enough about the basic components of a workflow spec. To review its basic structure:
- Kubernetes header including meta-data
- Entrypoint invocation with optional arguments
- List of template definitions
For each template definition
- Name of the template
- Optionally a list of inputs
- Optionally a list of outputs
- Container invocation (leaf template) or a list of steps
- For each step, a template invocation
To summarize, workflow specs are composed of a set of Argo templates where each template consists of an optional input section, an optional output section and either a container invocation or a list of steps where each step invokes another template.
Note that the container section of the workflow spec will accept the same options as the container section of a pod spec, including but not limited to environment variables, secrets, and volume mounts. Similarly, for volume claims and volumes.